Sunday, May 18, 2008

Do What you think is right ?

I am not a frequent blogger, but I always wanted to be. Need to build some discipline around it. So what brought me back. In early days, had posted a one line blog titled 'Do What is Right'. For very long I didnt find anyone practicing this. However couple of things happened in quick succession and here I am.

The CEO of the company I offer my services for, GE Capital Services India, Mr Vicky Bindra did two things which brought cheers to my heart. We were debating introduction of two new products. I wouldn't name them as they are company classified. Many arguments were being put in favour and against both. He came back thundering that it doesn't really matter which is tough to implement or what RHQ or HQ thinks, whether its acceptable to them or not - but think 'what is right for the company'. Align your thoughts accordingly without any bias of easiness to implement. For a min there was a deafning silence. Something like this had fell on ears after a very long time. It had the desired effect.

Was this one off incidence...and I was very delighted to be proven wrong on this. We were deciding about a candidate, who had sent in his acceptance to our offer, albeit a bit late. We had certain constraints around hiring. We could have technically said no to him ...but again Vicky put in a question for the team..... do what is right....not willing to tread path of technicalities, escape and look good to RHQ.

It was very heartening to demonstrate within our spheres with full integrity to do what is right.

On the fictional side, I happened to see 'Shaurya' *ing Rahul Bose, KK, Javed Jafferey and Minissa Lamba which had similar overtones. I loved it. Two close friends pitted against each other as prosecution and defence attorneys. One of them was deeply indebted to other for various favours he frequently asked for. He landed in a situation where he could stay quiet and helped the other, which is what his friend wanted. He chose not to. He did what was his duty, what was right. Best part is without truly jeopardising the friendship.

I also liked this movie as I have been in similar situation in my professional life where I have been on the sales side whereas my very close buddy was my risk counterpart. Without compromising, we did what was right, in the process ending up fighting on deals...but the friendship was intact...infact the bond was firmer and foundation grew stronger.

May be its more a coincidence. I also happened to buy DVD of 'Halla Bol'. Halla Bol is a street cry, used by street theatre artists to convey issues of importance - socially relevant, current happenings, malaise in public life, issues threatning the national fabric etc at times requiring mass consciousness by creating awareness amongst them. Off late people have responded leading to a public movement, most recent being the Jessica Lall murder. Here again the protagonist, who temporarily strays, comes back to the path of righteousness, given his strong roots and upbringing on the principle of 'do what is right'. Obviously the path was shown by his Guru.

Its tough, its painful, its full of thorns but its immensely satisfying to the soul. I really believe that we do have'Raja Harishchandra's' amongst us. We are answerable to Supreme power and more than that we are answerable to ourselves. For sake of that " Do What is Right".

1 comment:

Rishi said...

"Do what you think is right?"...people do not think like that anymore. So it sure is nice when you do find someone who practices that.